POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov new server problem? : Re: pov new server problem? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov new server problem?
From: povray
Date: 15 Oct 2004 21:18:13
Message: <9jkvm0lshe069nmaumqqqchtbi9p0od4aj@4ax.com>
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:40:13 -0700, Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>In article <fqmlm05cccptu3e9nmigjcr2i6f6fqtr25@4ax.com>,
>pov### [at] almostbestwebnet says...
>> 	Recently (like a week or so) I've begun to have
>> trouble getting the news from the pov-ray news server.
>> Before that, my software was grabbing everything from
>> the server with no trouble at all.  In fact, this is the
>> same software I've used for some years.
>>
>I have been experiencing similar issues. It successfully captured all
>articles, loads the headers, then just got disconnected. Since then I
>have set it to also retrieve the article bodies, but that only fixes the
>problem I was having with it telling me it wasn't able to retrieve them
>when I clicked on a article. If I post a reply and forget to force it to
>reconnect, the replies fail to be sent until the next day, since a bit
>after it finishes retrieving things the server (and it has to be on the
>server end) disconnects and the client won't send out posts unless
>connected to the server. These problems 'never' happened until a few
>weeks ago, then all of the sudden my client kept losing connection,
>literally in the middle of reading or replying to an article. It drove me
>completely nuts until I made it retrieve the bodies along with the
>headers, but it is still a major pain in the rear even now with it still
>disconnecting for no bloody reason.

Interesting.  This makes me suspect that perhaps it is not
something on my end.  Darn.  It would have been easier to
fix something on my end.  Now it's difficult because
the Problem is outside of my control and it is up to
others to trace & fix the problem.

After further experimentations I have narrowed it down to
the binaries newsgroup.  Not only that, it looks like certaion
articals are the source of the problem.  For instance,
yesterday my news software said "53 articals to go" when it
failed.  I tried again and again, it would always choke at
the "53 articals to go" point.  So I changed the program
preferences to get only the "52 most recent" postings.  This
it then did with no trouble.  I don't know *which*
posting because I can't see them (obviously).

Now, could this problem be based on the size of the posting?
Or is a new poster smoehow posting articals in such a away
that the server has trouble sending them?

More info: I use Windows ME as the OS, and hamster "classic"
as the newsgrabber.  I've used the same version since 2001
so (again) nothing has changed on my end.

So who does one contact for povray news server Problems?

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with